Turke & Strauss LLP, a leading data breach law firm, is investigating SIH Harrisburg Medical Center regarding its recent data breach. The SIH Harrisburg Medical Center data breach involved sensitive personal identifiable information and protected health information belonging to over 147,000 individuals.
ABOUT HARRISBURG MEDICAL CENTER:
SIH Harrisburg Medical Center is a not-for-profit community hospital based in southeastern Illinois. Established in 1965, SIH Harrisburg Medical Center offers a variety of inpatient and outpatient medical services, including general, orthopedic, ophthalmic, and foot and ankle surgeries. Additionally, SIH Harrisburg Medical Center provides mental health services through the Mulberry Center, an inpatient acute mental health unit serving individuals experiencing psychiatric illness such as major depression, bipolar disorder, and schizophrenia.3 Located in Harrisburg, Illinois, SIH Harrisburg Medical Center has one location and employs 265 individuals with 141 physicians and advanced practice providers on staff.
In December 2022, SIH Harrisburg Medical Center discovered that it had experienced a data breach in which sensitive personal identifiable information and protected health information in its systems may have been accessed and acquired. Through its investigation, SIH Harrisburg Medical Center determined that an unauthorized actor may have accessed and acquired this sensitive information between December 19 and December 23, 2022. On December 12, 2023, SIH Harrisburg Medical Center mailed notification letters to certain individuals whose information may have been impacted. The type of information potentially exposed includes:
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Driver’s license/state ID number
- Financial account number
- Medical information (e.g., diagnosis/conditions, lab results, prescription information)
- Health insurance information
- Digital/electronic signature
If you have received a breach notification letter from SIH Harrisburg Medical Center:
We would like to speak with you about your rights and potential legal remedies in response to this data breach. Please fill out the form, below, or contact us at (608) 237-1775 or email@example.com.
If you were impacted by the SIH Harrisburg Medical Center data breach, you may consider taking the following steps to protect your personal information.
- Carefully review the breach notice and retain a copy;
- Enroll in any free credit monitoring services provided by SIH Harrisburg Medical Center;
- Change passwords and security questions for online accounts;
- Regularly review account statements for signs of fraud or unauthorized activity;
- Monitor credit reports for signs of identity theft; and
- Contact a credit bureau(s) to request a temporary fraud alert.