Turke & Strauss LLP, a leading data breach law firm, is investigating Peerstar, LLC regarding its recent data breach. The Peerstar data breach involved sensitive personal identifiable information and protected health information belonging to an undetermined number of individuals.
ABOUT PEERSTAR, LLC:
Peerstar is a mental health and support services company based out of Pennsylvania. Specifically, Peerstar offers help to those with mental illness or substance abuse problems through peer support and a community-based approach. Clients of Peerstar can choose from a variety of different programs to best suit their needs, including peer support, forensic peer support, co-occurring peer support, dual diagnosis peer support, or wellness coaching. Each of these programs at Peerstar are led or assisted by trained individuals who have experienced similar treatment and diagnoses. Headquartered in Altoona, Pennsylvania, Peerstar serves over 30 counties in Pennsylvania. Since its founding in 2008, Peerstar has provided more than 549,000 peer led engagement and served more than 7,300 individuals.4
On March 7, 2023, Peerstar experienced a data breach in which the sensitive personal identifiable information and protected health information in its systems may have been accessed and acquired. Through its investigation, Peerstar determined that an unauthorized actor may have accessed and acquired this sensitive information between February 22, 2023 and March 3, 2023. On October 16, 2023, Peerstar began contacting individuals whose information may have been impacted. The type of information exposed includes:
- Social Security number
- Date of birth
- Driver’s license number
- Financial account number
- Medical information (e.g., admission and discharge dates, physical or mental health condition, and treatment and diagnosis information)
- Digital signature
- Birth or marriage certificate
- Health insurance information (e.g., application and claims history, policy number, subscriber ID number, and payment information)
If you received a breach notification letter from Peerstar, LLC:
We would like to speak with you about your rights and potential legal remedies in response to this data breach. Please fill out the form, below, or contact us at (608) 237-1775 or email@example.com.
If you were impacted by the Peerstar data breach, you may consider taking the following steps to protect your personal information.
- Carefully review the breach notice and retain a copy;
- Enroll in any free credit monitoring services provided by Peerstar, LLC;
- Change passwords and security questions for online accounts;
- Regularly review account statements for signs of fraud or unauthorized activity;
- Monitor credit reports for signs of identity theft; and
- Contact a credit bureau(s) to request a temporary fraud alert.