Turke & Strauss LLP, a leading data breach law firm, is investigating Illinois Gastroenterology Group, PLLC regarding its recent data breach. The Illinois Gastroenterology Group breach involved sensitive personal identifiable information and protected health information belonging to patients.
ABOUT ILLINOIS GASTROENTEROLOGY GROUP:
The Illinois Gastroenterology Group is a medical company that provides gastrointestinal health services. The company formed in 2010 through the merger of Elgin Gastroenterology, Lake Shore Gastroenterology, and Northwest Gastroenterologists. Midwest Center for Digestive Health joined the company in 2011, Gastrointestinal Health Associates of Geneva joined in 2013, and North Shore Gastroenterology joined in 2014. The Illinois Gastroenterology Group represents itself as the “largest single specialty gastrointestinal group in Illinois, with over 40 gastroenterologists.”
In October 2021, the Illinois Gastroenterology Group reportedly experienced “unusual activity” within its computer network, prompting the company to “launch an investigation.” On November 18, 2021, Illinois Gastroenterology Group’s investigation concluded that an unauthorized actor gained access to certain systems and that information contained in those systems may have been viewed or taken by the unauthorized actor. The impacted data included the following types of personal and health information:
· First and last names;
· Social Security numbers;
· Driver’s license numbers;
· Dates of birth;
· Financial account information;
· Employer-assigned identification numbers;
· Payment card information;
· Medical information; and
· Biometric data.
If you are a current or former patient of Illinois Gastroenterology Group:
We would like to speak with you about your rights and potential legal remedies in response to this data breach. Please fill out the form, below, or contact us at (608) 237-1775 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you were impacted by the Illinois Gastroenterology Group data breach, you may consider taking the following steps to protect your personal information.
- Carefully review the breach notice and retain a copy;
- Enroll in the free credit monitoring service provided by Illinois Gastroenterology Group;
- Change passwords and security questions for online accounts;
- Regularly review account statements for signs of fraud or unauthorized activity;
- Monitor credit reports for signs of identity theft; and
- Contact a credit bureau(s) to request a temporary fraud alert.